Tuesday, December 16, 2008

47









So it seemed only fitting that we were back together on a Tuesday, here in the house with the Japanese maple out front. As I readied to go, I mentioned this to Morrie.

"We're Tuesday people," he said.

Tuesday people, I repeated.

(an excerpt from Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom)

We're Thursday people.

It's been Thursdays for 8 years now that I have had company for supper, visiting and television.

It was on a Thursday when we discovered how well we worked together as a team. J-L wasn't even invited for the meal that day and yet he helped me clean and cook prior to my guests arriving and his slipping out.

It was a Thursday we cooked a large portion of our wedding meal.

It was the wee hours of a Thursday morning when I went into labour for my firstborn.

It was a Thursday when they discovered the growth.

It was a Thursday when he was pulled from my womb.

And, it was a Thursday when Jack's Children's Hospital medical file was closed.

"I don't need to see him anymore." A simple little statement but J-L and I both had tears in our eyes when Dr. Wiseman said it. You see, it's gone. There is still some loose skin there where it once was but nothing more - certainly not enough to make surgery worthwhile. Dr. Wiseman was stunned when he looked at Jack's back. He wasn't comfortable with J-L referring to it as a miracle but nonetheless he was shocked and amazed. That's fine, doctor, you can fall back on your science, we'll fall back on our God.

47 weeks. That’s how long that thing was a part of our lives. 47 weeks. I have a friend who gets rather introspective at the beginning of each year. She's made the comment to me more than once that you "just never know". You just don't know what lies ahead. You don't know what the next year will bring. We had no idea at the beginning of 2008 what would affect the majority of the year. And yet now here we are at the end of the year and the end of the growth.

We've been blessed.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That gave me chills.

darien said...

amen!

Heather Plett said...

Yes we have.

Cakes said...

Let us all remember to "fall back on God"

Merry Christmas!

Wendy Barkman said...

Jack and God have an amazing story to tell, don't they?

Wendy Barkman said...

Happy 1st Birthday, Jack! We're so thrilled for all the good things in your life!

Anonymous said...

today is a special day: Happy Birthday, Jack!!!!
Rina