Friday, January 11, 2008

The name

J-L and I had been throwing the name Jack around for awhile now. In fact, J-L had been calling him that for weeks (we were quite confident after the first ultrasound that he was indeed a boy). And yet, this morning I asked him to stop. I needed to think about it. It suddenly became very important that the name mean something. That it be significant and not just a name we like. (His middle name is very significant - it is the same as his paternal grandfather). And so I got to work. I searched Bible name sites and sites containing the meanings of names. And then, when I still wasn't satisfied I decided to look at what Jack meant after all.

Gracious gift of God.

And it suddenly became very apparent that that was his name.

It only just occurred to me a few hours ago that we inadvertently named our son after my two brothers in a way. My one brother has the middle name of John and my other brother was called Jack by my father (as a nickname that is really in no way connected to his given name, my dad was that way. One of my nicknames was Trudy). What a wonderful little extra blessing.

4 comments:

darien said...

His name is beautiful. It is all the things you hoped--strong and hopeful...and the same initials as his daddy.

Praying for you, I really am.

Anonymous said...

sending all my love and prayers to sweet baby jack. i'm so glad he has a name, and a lovely one at that.

Anonymous said...

Actually, he's named after almost all of the men he's directly related to (not counting the cousins), since his pépère, dad, and uncle all share the same name. :-)

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about your family all the time for over two days now. Saying prayers.