Friday, February 29, 2008

Week 27

When I was pregnant with Abby the doctor who was to deliver her was a teaching doctor. And so, nearly every week I saw a different intern. Some lovely, capable. Some terrified and unsure of themselves. However, I was "of a certain age" (over 35) so each and every week I was asked the exact same questions by each and every intern: "Are you going for your amniocentesis? Are you going for your triple screen?" (Those in the medical profession please correct me if I've forgotten the name.) The answers to each of those questions was "no" every single week (why they didn't note that in my file was beyond me). Some of those interns would get a frightened look on their faces when I said "no". "But EVERYONE over 35 gets them done here in Manitoba." I would then calmly look in their faces and ask them "why?". Their response was some type of variation of: "Well, it can tell you if your risk for having a baby with Down's syndrome or spina bifida is higher." "Okay, that's fine but is there anything I or you can do for my baby in utero if it's discovered that the risk is higher?" "Well, no." "Okay, well keep in mind that we believe that this child is God's gift to us and that He will help us to care for whatever comes our way. We have no intentions of terminating the pregnancy. So then in my mind the only thing that will happen is that I will spend the next X number of months worrying about my unborn baby and what life will be like afterwards when in all actuality, it only means the RISK is higher, not that I am going to have a baby with Down's syndrome or spina bifida. The thing is, I'm going to worry anyway, it's what I do, I don’t really need to add extra stress by worrying more. So, thanks but no thanks."

I think back on those conversations often with this pregnancy. How I was able to shut the door on worry and how not knowing just felt better to me. Sometimes I wish that I could "not know" for this pregnancy too. Don't get me wrong, I think it's in Jack's best interests that we know now. That they can prepare ahead of time and learn and study. I do understand that and I’m thankful for that. But, the worry can burn the eyelids and choke the throat. This week we heard these words: "Next week I want to introduce you to a neonatologist." Why? Well, because Jack will be heading into NICU or intermediate intensive care directly after birth. I knew that he would need to spend some time in there but there was a small part of my brain that was holding out hope that his time in there would only be after surgery. That we would be able to head home as a happy family of four after he was born and we would just have to bring him back in for tests and the surgery. That I would be able to breast feed my baby in my bed. That we would get to hold him and cuddle with him just as we did with Abby. And yes, in this lovely world of mine the sun WAS indeed shining and the birds were singing. But, that's not to be. We have to head home as three, same as we came in. I have to go through the pain of childbirth and then leave my child there. And we have NO IDEA when the surgery will be and how long he will be there as they poke and prod and test him. I know millions of mothers have lived through this. I also know that one day this will all just be a story that we will tell Jack. And yet, for the next three months I also have to know that I don't get to have "normal" and for right now that's just breaking my heart.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Cynthia. I wish I could take some of the worrying off your shoulders. Know that I'm thinking of you and continuing to pray for you and Jack.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about this news.

I was talking to a friend of mine who's little newborn is very sick and she and I were discussing how it's a new normal. Somehow the abnormal has become the normal in her life, and I suppose that's true for you as well.

Kathryn Mackel said...

Thank you for the updated picture of Jack. It's like a kiss...

Anonymous said...

It's breaking my heart too.

Anonymous said...

Oh and not EVERY other woman over 35 gets tested. I didn't.

Cakes said...

Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

((hugs))They will be different, but they will be miraculous. holding you in my heart.

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

Blessings to you. I understand completely why you turned down the tests (I'm young, but went through the same choice with ultrasounds). My baby just arrived and I can't imagine not being able to hold her immediately... may God hold you all in His arms and work His wonders in Jack's life.

Anonymous said...

Smiling at the pic.

Can't wait to meet him.

love you

SIL Sue

Anonymous said...

We will be praying for you & Fam. We still remember our conversation with you at Christmas time and are praying that God is holding you up.

Joyska said...

I can't even begin to imagine what your heart is going through. We prayed for Jack, and all of you tonight in our prayer meeting. I do everyday as well. I too can't wait to meet him!

darien said...

I once read a kids book called Leo the Lop--about a little bunny who wanted his ears to stand up straight like all the other bunny's ears did. Eventually he learned that 'normal is whatever you are'.

I've thought of that so very often with my own struggles, that my normal isn't the same as everyone else's, but for me, it was normal. And sometimes it would help (but not always).

We continue to pray for your normal...and for your son. He's gorgeous! Hang in there. 2 pounds and 27 weeks....that is hope indeed.

Anonymous said...

This is almost freaky, but in a good way. I've been thinking and praying on this subject with you this week. The past 35 bit, the higher risk, the longing for normalicy... talk about intense. I think it's pretty neat that God's Spirit can nudge me to pray along and think along your lines even when the Atlantic Ocean lies between us. I'll do my best to keep alert for those nudges!

Anonymous said...

Your sister-in-law Sue posted your prayer request in a forum I belong to. So I came to read your blog & pray for you. It came to mind that a support group of other moms going through pregnancy complications could be helpful or encouraging for you now. So I found a forum that offers that. I don't know if it will help you weather this storm, but in any case, may your burden seem easier & lighter as the Lord carries you through this.

http://www.storknet.com/
complications/membership.htm

blessings to you & your family

Robin

Anonymous said...

Oh, Cynthia, I'm just hoping that out of all of this you find your new normal. It won't be like the first time, but if all goes well, it might have it's own natural logic. It might become your normal - in a good way.

I'm 39, and though we did do the screening blood test this time, we have never had an amnio, for the same reasons.

The hardest part of this for you, I'm sure, is not knowing what to prepare for. I wish I could take that uncertainty away. But instead, I send prayers.

-raehan

donna said...

I wanted to let you know that I have added baby jack to a new prayer blog that I set up...

and I continue to pray for all of you.

hugs
donna